- Placing the litterbox the right place can make a huge difference when it comes to litter training. Rabbits tend to choose one place to poop and pee, and it is most often in a corner. If your rabbit has already choosen a place, then start by placing the litterbox there! Some rabbits don't need more help then that.
If your rabbit doesn't have a place yet, then place the litterbox in one of the corners and see how it goes!
- If your bunny poops outside of the litterbox, then just pick it up and put it in the box. If (s)he pee's outside of the box, then wipe it up with some paper towel and either throw it out, or put it in the litterbox. This will show your rabbit that this is the place where it belongs and that it is ok to use it!
- Place a hayrack by the litterbox, so that your rabbit has to sit in the box, when eating the hay. Rabbits often eat and poop at the same time, so this is often a big help when litter training.
- Place more than one litterbox! If your rabbit has a large area, it can easily get confusing with only one litterbox. Let's face it, eventhough rabbits are very active animals, then they still prefer not to have to move too far away from where they are, just to poop! Also if you add a few extra then there's naturally a bigger chance that s(he)'ll use at least one of them! Once your rabbit is litter trained, then you can slowly remove the ones that s(he) doesn't use that much.
- If your rabbit still poops outside the litterbox, then try cleaning it's intire area with a vinegar/water mix, except for the litterbox, so that only the litterbox smell like a rabbit toilet.
- If things still aren't working out, then try different types of bedding. Some rabbits refuse to use special types of bedding. Try different types, brands and maybe adding some hay on top of it.
- Spay or neuter your rabbit. Spaying and neutering has a lot of benefits and I personally believe that it increases the quality of life for your rabbit! Not only does if prevent a lot of diseases, but it helps with their litter training and also their mood!
- Give it time! Not all rabbits learn as fast as others, and you need to be patient!
onsdag den 22. januar 2014
How to litter train your rabbit!
Rabbits are very intelligent creatures and they can be litter trained, just like cats! Rabbits are in general very hygenic animals, but that doesn't always mean that it'll be easy to litter train them! Having a litter trained rabbit makes everythig more easy as a rabbit slave, so here's a few advices on how to get started!